Thursday, May 24, 2012

And that's why it's called a smart phone

The Calendar app that came with my Windows smart phone is pulling up event dates from my Facebook account. I know that I need to be more pro-active with my use of the calendar. This functionality is great. I may not have put some of these events on my calendar but since it took no effort on my part, I'm quite happy to pick and choose which of these events I'll ignore. It made me realize why it's called a smart phone.

Too bad the humans behind the phones aren't so smart. As mentioned in my previous post about the phone, it doesn't appear to actually run Windows 7.5 even thought both AT&T and Samsung have text stating that it comes loaded with 7.5. Here's my chat with Samsung:

Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Simpson'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401088025X
Simpson: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: I'm having trouble updating my phone to Windows 7.5. When I use Zune, and update it, it says I don't need an update. It say I have Windows 7.1.
Simpson: I understand that you facing problem in updating your phone. Is that correct?
Visitor: Yes.
Simpson: Thank you for confirming.
Simpson: May I know the model number of your phone ? You can find the model number beneath the phone's battery which generally starts with SGH, SCH or SPH .
Visitor: SGH-i1677
Simpson: Thank you.
Simpson: Would you mind in holding for a few minutes while I check the information for the updates?
Visitor: Go ahead. NP.
Simpson: Thank you.
Simpson: Thank you for holding. I appreciate your time and patience.
Simpson: To check the current version of this phone, follow the following steps:
Simpson:
Simpson: Press ##634# Call - This will open the Diagnostic Application.
Simpson: Press *#1234#
Simpson: Please note the PDA and Phone versions.
Visitor: In process
Simpson: Okay.
Visitor: i677uckj1 for pda and phone
Simpson: Thank you.
Simpson: After completion please uninstall the Diagnosis application.
Simpson: From the home screen touch Arrow key.
Simpson: Touch and Hold Diagnosis.
Simpson: Touch uninstall.
Visitor: couldn't get that to work ... will try again
Simpson: I will be right with you.
Simpson: Sure.
Simpson: I see that the versions you provided is the latest version released for this phone.
Simpson: There are no updates available right now for your phone.
Visitor: So it doesn't run 7.5?
Simpson: I am sorry as of now for your phone it doesn't have.  [Talking to Homer Simpson?]
Visitor: Why? It is described as having Windows 7.5 loaded.
Simpson: I am sorry. I have double checked and there are no updates for your phone.

Let's be clear that I really like this phone! The more I use it, the more I cannot believe I waited so long to work with one. OTOH, maybe an earlier version of WinPhone would not have been such a pleasure. I only took this investigation so far because if I like 7.1 so much and all the buzz is that 7.5 is a step up.

I have a feeling some of the apps I am trying to use require 7.5 and that is disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment